After walking, bouncing, humming, sshing, singing, dancing, and finally nursing my little princess is finally napping in her crib. I have been letting her stay up and play the past couple days because it has been so hard to get her down for naps, but like I stated last night, I think that is just making it harder to fall asleep at night. So today, I put my foot down, and spent the hour she needed to lull her asleep.
And now, it is mommy time. I got my Parenting magazine in the mail yesterday and I finally had the chance to read some of the articles. One that stuck out to me was the "Princess Diaries". It is all about how little girls can become obsessed with princesses and about being older. They brought up points like little girls getting facials at 4, buying make up kits at 9, wearing racy clothes too soon and so on. They said that clothing stores make outfits that can fit size 6 through size 12, and since a 12 year old doesn't want to look like a first grader, they make it so the older clothes fit the younger girls.
Right now, it isn't hard to find outfits that make Isabella look sweet and innocent. But I will admit that I have seen some little girls wearing clothes that even I wouldn't wear as a 24 year old. As a young girl, I can't remember ever wanting to wear something that I wasn't allowed to. My parents always taught me that I should act like a "lady". But I doubt any parent teachers their daughters to act like a "tramp". And while most girls aren't acting like tramps, sometimes their clothes are just a little too old for their age. Which could lead to more promiscuous activity later in life. Or will it? Do you believe clothes are just clothes, or do you think that what you wear says a little about yourself and what your trying to tell others?
I think playing dress up is part of being a kid. I also think that trying on mommy's lipstick is part of experimenting and role playing. Am I going to let Isabella wear lipstick everyday when she is three? Probably not. But I don't see the harm in having fun girly days, as long as you balance it with the other joys in life. Sure, we'll go fishing with daddy, but afterwards why does it hurt to take a shower and enjoy the luxuries of the spa, even if its "Spa Jasinski" and daddy gives us facials. haha.
Of course, I am not there yet. Scares me a little to think that others would think of my baby girl as a sexual object (which this article talks about). Hopefully Jonathan and I can teach her to be a lady and to understand what that means. Let me know your thoughts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment