Monday, April 4, 2011

"NO!"

Isabella is learning to talk, and we LOVE hearing her trying to communicate with us. Along with naming everything, we also try to incorporate some basic signs with her everyday life. This has turned out to be so helpful. It is so nice that when she wants more of something, she can tell us, or if she is all done, we know she no longer wants us shoveling food in her mouth, or even to continue pushing her on the swing. We have also taught her to sign please and thank you. These are my favorite signs. I love that she will now sign please without me even asking, or that she will sign thank you, after receiving something. Sure, it doesn't happen every time, but this is great practice for her!

So... The words she can say now at 15 months are: mama, dada, el-mo (elmo), app-l (apple), hot, ello (hello), hiu (something like hi, you), eese (cheese), du-k (duck) and up

words that she says when signing are: peese (please), or (more), don (all done), mi (milk), o (water) still working on that one...., no (nose), ei (eye) -she also signs yes, thank you, and will also point to her ears, mouth, tongue, teeth, toes, fingers, hair, head, sometimes knee, and sometimes her elbow

sounds she will imitate: barking like a dog, meowing like a cat, quacks like a duck, oowing for a cow, attempts to oink like a pig

AND.... she has learned the word NO!

This can be a little frustrating... While I understand she is trying to develop her own independence and trying to separate herself from me, it can get trying on the days she wants to do everything by herself. As of right now, I am trying to teach her to say "no, thank you". And if I ask her to, she will often sign "thank you" after saying "no". I let her know, its ok to want to do things by herself, but that she can tell mommy nicely. I don't really take it personally. While, I can feel a little slighted that she doesn't always want to hold my hand while walking, I know she still loves me. In fact, she is very affectionate. So while this may be the start of losing my baby girl, I know she is always going to be mine. At the end of the day, she and I still love cuddling on the couch, reading a good book, and giving kisses before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment